Abrahamic History, Lengend and Mythology
Published: June 5, 2020
There is set of religions that come from Abrahim. I was trying to understand how they all are related.
There are three abrahamic religions
Q: Who is Abrahim(Ibrahim in quran) ?
- Abraham (18th century BCE), tenth-generation descendant of Noah, of Hebrew lineage, was the son of Terah, uncle of Lot, father of Isaac, grandfather of Jacob, and forefather of the Israelites.
- Jewish tradition states that he was the first to actively spread belief in One God
Q: Who is Noah ?
- In Abrahamic religions, Noah[a] (/ˈnoʊ.ə/ NOH-ə) was the tenth and last of the pre-Flood patriarchs.
- According to the Genesis account, Noah labored faithfully to build the Ark at God’s command, ultimately saving not only his own family, but mankind itself and all land animals, from extinction during the Flood.
- Afterwards, God made a covenant(promised) with him and promised never again to destroy all the earth’s creatures with a flood.
Important point to note, and there are lot of stories, every major religion has their own version, so mine is one of many version I read up
Q: Who is Jacob ?
- According to legend, Jacob — also known as Israel — was Abraham’s grandson, and each of Jacob’s sons was the father of an Israelite tribe.
- One son, Joseph, went to Egypt(was sold into slavery by his jealous brothers), where he prospered in the face of adversity, and rose to become vizier, the second most powerful man in Egypt next to Pharaoh(probably king), and invited his brothers and his father to live in Egypt.
- A later pharaoh feared the Israelites on his land and so enslaved them, a condition in which they remained until Moses led them to freedom.
Q: Who is moses( Tawrat in quran) ?
- In the biblical narrative he was the leader of the Israelites and lawgiver, to whom the authorship of the Torah, or acquisition of the Torah from Heaven, is traditionally attributed.
- When he was born the Pharaoh of Egypt had ordered to kill all new born Israelite(son of Isreal i.e. Jacob), but his mother hide him by putting him on basket in river Nile.
- He was caught by daughter of Pharaoh of Egypt or in quran(wife of Pharaoh), and he grew in Egypt royalty taken care by a hebrew care taker which in-turn was her mother.
- According to the Book of Exodus, he was born in a time when his people, the Israelites, an enslaved minority, were increasing in population
- Moses eventually frees Israelites from slavery, takes them to their promiseland.
- He later gave the 10 commandments to Israelites.
Abraham is hailed as the first Hebrew and the father of the Jewish people. As a reward for his act of faith in one God, he was promised that Isaac, his second son, would inherit the Land of Israel (then called Canaan). Later, the descendants of Isaac’s son Jacob were enslaved in Egypt, and God commanded Moses to lead the Exodus from Egypt Jacob is said to have had twelve sons by four women, his wives, Leah and Rachel, and his concubines, Bilhah and Zilpah, who were, in order of their birth, Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, and Benjamin, all of whom became the heads of their own family groups, later known as the Twelve Tribes of Israel.
Realised after reading a lot more about them, these 3 have their own history/lengend/mythology. It’s too much to go and deep dive in them, and each one of them has different story from one of them, whichever way I go, will be taking one story/legend/history for other which doesn’t make much sense, so will let it go.
One good night went in it, other night should not.
Meanwhile I read more and added moses in it. Also
- Rasul means messenger
- Hadith: Narratives of Prophet Muhaammad’s life, since in Quran it tells people to emulate Muhaamad life and Hadith is narratives of mohammad life, hence it get the value.